I created this WaMu timeline widget using Flash (Now Adobe Animate) back in 2005 I think. I was yearning for the days when I could create full websites (or at least mini-sites) full of interactivity and animation that were easy to export and host.
My old source file was now defunct. The Flash plug-in is no longer allowed in browsers for security and other reasons (re: Steve Jobs) so I would be able to host the .swf file anymore. But I could export to HTML5 and JS. However I used Actionscript 2.0 in its making. But things have changed in the last 20+ years and I don't know if I could convert the file and export to HTML to use.
My friend, Jared, told me about Claude AI, mentioning that he'd read it does a good job of converting old Flash widgets to web host-able assets. After a few days and several rounds, Claude converted the source .fla file to a web widget. And it did a fair job.
Pros: Great at reading the code and getting the interactivity and motion down (with explanations from me). And upscaling the images.
Cons: No good at design and layout. It made a lot of decisions counter to the original design with lots of errors and issues. If you art direct it properly, it'll correct the mistakes and get to a more correct design.
You can see the version that Claude replicated in HTML and JavaScript here.
I would rather see if I can convert the ActionScript 2.0 to 3.0 and see if I can export to code to host (I've read the end result isn't optimal) but in a pinch, Claude did a good job. I'm still not down with all the creative art AI use...

No comments:
Post a Comment